Ballymurn Celtic 4 Fethard Rangers 1

The lads made it through to the final of the Billy Browne cup with a great 4-1 win against a very good Fethard team in what was torrential rain.Although we won 4-1 the scoreline flattered us a little and the game was really won by us converting our chances whereas Fethard didn’t.

The first ten minutes of the game we never got going and Fethard were well on top and if it wasn’t for a couple of great saves from Glen Murphy we would have been behind.After that we started to get back into the game and inserted our own pressure.Our first goal came from Adam who raced down the left, got a low cross in, Josh Whitehead did very well closing down and keeping it alive in the box. The ball then fell to Snowy who shot low across goal through bodies into far corner.

The second goal came from a Fethard free kick. Glen got the ball and kicked a lovely pass upfield that went through their defense and allowed Sean Walsh to run on and put it passed their keeper.The lads soon found themselves 3 up before half time. There was some lovely interplay in midfield before a cross from Josh Whitehead found Sean Walsh who showed great technique to volley it passed the keeper.

It was 3-0 at half time but Fathard had caused us a lot of problems so we knew the game was far from over.The second half started much the same as the first. Fethard had made four changes at half time and this seemed to spur them on. They created a number of chances and only for a wonderful point blank save from Glen prevented them from getting one back.

The lads weathered the storm and soon got a fourth when a through ball from Sean found Snowy who weaved in and out of their defenders before being brought down in the area. Sean stepped up to take the penalty and put it to the keepers left to score his hat trick.

Just when you thought that may be that Fethard scored shortly after with a nice shot from outside the area that Glen could do nothing about.The story of the rest of the game was Fethard dominating the ball and creating a number of chances that they couldn’t convert. Everyone of our players put their body on the line and gave absolutely everything to ensure we ended with the win.

We almost got a fifth towards the end of the game when Cathal Roche hit the post with a nice shot from a difficult angle.The game finished 4-1 and the lads now have a final against a good Bree United team to look forward to on 14th May in Ferrycarrig Park.

Best of luck to Fethard who caused us more problems than any team we’ve played this season.

Matchday squad

Glen Murphy

Declan Kealy

Josh Waldron

Paul ‘Karate Kid’ Walsh

Josh Whitehead

Joe Kelly

Paul Dempsey

Shane O’Rourke

Adam O’Brien

Snowy ⚽

Sean Walsh ⚽⚽⚽

PJ Bourke

Chonaill Devlin

Luke Leacy

Paddy Redmond

Shane Whelan

Robbie Wilson

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *